How to Apply
Deadline for application is January 1, 2014
NOTE: If your ultimate goal is getting a PhD in History, but you have not already completed an MA degree, you must apply to the MA program (but you should still make clear your intentions to complete a doctoral degree in History).
If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit that website.
Step 1: Please complete the online Graduate School Application:
- Statement of intent outlining in 1-3 pages the proposed fields of study and research.
- Writing sample demonstrating competence in historical research, analysis and writing (min. 10 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified persons (preferably faculty) familiar with the applicant's academic performance and potential for graduate studies in history. No special form is required but please ensure the correct e-mail for your reference is provided to prevent delays.
Step 2: The following additional items must be submitted separately:
- Please send two copies of official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work previously undertaken to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of History
108 Weaver Building
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (School Code: 2660; Dept Code 2799). Penn State does not require the subject portion of the GRE test.
Step 3: International applicants must submit the following additional items with their application:
- Results from a recent TOEFL examination or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) A minimum score of 100 is required.
- International applicants who have received a baccalaureate or a master’s degree from a college/university/institution in any of the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement: Australia, Belize, British Caribbean and British West Indies, Canada (Except Quebec), England, Guyana, Republic of Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the United States.