How to Apply
Deadline for application is January 1, 2015
NOTE: If your ultimate goal is getting a PhD in History, but you have not already completed an MA degree, you must apply to the MA program (but you should still make clear your intentions to complete a doctoral degree in History).
If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit that website.
Step 1: Please complete the online Graduate School Application:
- Statement of intent outlining in 1-3 pages the proposed fields of study and research.
- Writing sample demonstrating competence in historical research, analysis and writing (min. 10 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified persons (preferably faculty) familiar with the applicant's academic performance and potential for graduate studies in history. No special form is required but please ensure the correct e-mail for your reference is provided to prevent delays.
Step 2: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (school Code: 2660; Dept Code: 2799). Penn State does not require the subject of the GRE test.
Step 3: International applicants must submit the following additional items with their application:
- Results from a recent TOEFL examination or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) A minimum score of 100 is required.
- International applicants who have received a baccalaureate or a master’s degree from a college/university/institution in any of the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement: Australia, Belize, British Caribbean and British West Indies, Canada (Except Quebec), England, Guyana, Republic of Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the United States.